Thursday, January 22, 2015

My Almost 9-Year-Old Daughter is Compromising Herself Because of Bullies

bluemoon | 9:31 AM |

I was so excited to get an email from my daughter's school inviting the whole family to come dressed up in cultural fashion for their multicultural night celebration. Students and their families are expected to open the celebration with a parade of cultural fashions! I was mostly excited about the family talent show where families are encouraged to share a talent that represents their culture. As a dance lover, I started creating a routine to my favorite Nigerian song in my head. I was so ecstatic!

I was still basking in joy when I told my daughter of my plans for the family to perform a dance routine. Her reaction was hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. She literally went on her knees begging me not to because she would have to leave the school if that happened. Her words were " I will be so embarrassed and have to run away. She went on to say she loved her culture but the kids were mean and they would make fun of her forever.
I was disappointed because my kids love to dance to Nigerian music. They love their African fashion and have even learnt some poems from my childhood.  I have also taught them to stand up to bullies and not crumble under pressure. So why is she not proud and happy to share this part of her? Now, I have to decide whether to let my daughter crumble under peer pressure and fear of being bullied or dismiss her fears and go ahead with the dance. What to do? I am still pondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Search

Pages

Powered by Blogger.