Thursday, March 5, 2015

This Indian girl defied her parents by creating an alternative "marital ad' that reflects who she really is. Love it!

bluemoon | 8:30 AM |
Meet the fabulous Indhuja Pillai, a 24-year-old tomboy from Bangalore who posted a bold marital ad after she saw the desperate one her parents created on her behalf. Her ad has got many hailing her as a feminist hero and has gone viral in India plus she has now been overwhelmed with proposals.
I love a girl who knows who she is and what she wants. Parents mean well but sometimes they just need to chill!

In most societies like hers and mine, women are still made to feel marriage is what defines them. No matter what a woman achieves, professionally or otherwise she is deemed a failure if she does not have Mrs. next to her name. These sexist ideologies need to stop! We are individuals and can be happy and fulfilled with or without a man!

Read her story below.
              


My parents wanted to get me married... It all began when my parents informed me they had put my profile on a matrimonial website. My father sent me the link and I had a look. It was all from my parents' perspective. It was my parents talking about me.

"We are looking for a groom for our daughter who is working as a software engineer."

I don't mind my parents searching for a groom. This is very common in India. But I want the right details to be given. It's fine as long as people know who you really are.

So this really annoyed me. I am not a software engineer, I work with start-ups and smaller companies. I love helping a small company grow. So I told them they've got the basic stuff wrong and that I would take the profile down and post who I really am. So I created my own profile... The website was meant to shut my parents down, and to make their work simpler by passing just this link, rather than passing on my biography and the godforsaken horoscope.


WHAT MY PARENTS SAID: They said I was an engineering graduate working as a software engineer. They didn't mention my religious views, hobbies or interests.

WHAT I SAID: "I'm not a drinker and I hate smoking. An eggitarian, not a foodie. I play badminton, sing and dance. I wear glasses and look dorky in them. Not a spendthrift or a shopaholic. Detest masala & drama, not a TV fan. I don't read. Friendly but I don't prefer friendship. NOT a womanly woman. Definitely not marriage material. Won't grow long hair, ever. I come with a life-long guarantee and I commit for life."

WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR: "A man, preferably bearded, who is passionate about seeing the world. Someone who earns for himself and does NOT hate his job. Must be flexible with his parents, also means, it's better if he is NOT a family guy. Extra points to the one who hates kids. Points for a great voice and an impressive personality. Should be able to hold a conversation for at least 30 minutes."

I see myself as an individual. I know who I am, a bit of a loner who likes to wander the city. That is exactly why I told my parents I'm not mainstream and I know what I want.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Search

Pages

Powered by Blogger.